Monday, February 7, 2011

Christina Aguilera's The Star Spangled Banner 2011


Ok... First of all, I'm not an American but I always get uber-excited whenever or whoever sings the vocally-challenging national anthem, "the star-spangled banner" at sporting events especially the annual super bowl. From Aretha Franklin to Beyonce, divas of different generations have tried belting this anthem out at this prestigious event over the years but my most favorite rendition so far is still by the incomparable Whitney Houston in 1991. This year, the anthem was performed by one of my favorite singers, agreed by many as the voice of our generation, Christina Aguilera. Noted for her incredible vocal range and powerful belts, it's a surprise that the 5-times Grammy winner, who had performed this anthem numerous times at events like this (Most recently at the NBA 2010) still somehow managed to mess up the lyrics and fuck up the vocals. I mean, I have seen Christina Aguilera live, I own all her albums and I'm very impressed with the way she sings but c'mon, this is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!. Obviously her focus here is to out-sing the people who had sung this song before and to reach as many high notes as possible. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Instead she repeated the "What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming" line twice instead of "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?" And her vocals, especially the last "brave" note, so hoarse and completely over-sung, were so embarrassingly bad that they alone could easily make a hard-core fan like me run and hide under the covers of Gaga's bed sheets. See it for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SM9vMad208&feature=related

No comments: