Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Florence in the rain (B&W Photography)

The Fontana del Nettuno in the Piazza della Signoria

Beautiful Florence was heavily hit by the rain on that day of my arrival in September. Even when the rain stopped the dark grey clouds were all over the city making it extra gloomy and sad. It was cold, wet and depressing. To make the matter worse, there were tourists everywhere- Chinese, Americans, Australians as if the whole world had decided to gather in Florence that day. I was very disappointed because I was really looking forward to capturing Florence’s iconic beauty in vivid colors and warm light. Although I had been taking pictures for hours since that morning, none of them turned out great.  This constant rain, such poor light and heaps of tourists everywhere made it very difficult for me to find inspiration. Then something clicked, while we were waiting for the rain to pass under a portico of an old building near the Ponte Vecchio . A light-bulb moment came and I switched my camera to the black & white mode immediately. I started taking pictures of anything and everything that was around me and began to like what I saw through my LCD monitor. (I know. I wish I could say “Through my lens” to make it sound more real-photographer-ish but my point is the images I took via Black& White mode looked amazing on the LCD screen and nothing like the reality I saw through the lens. Thank Heavens for digital cameras and their multiple options!!!) My creative juice started to flow after all and I went from shooting nada to capturing Piazzas.  Florence was no longer miserable and I felt that my black and white shots absolutely seized the melancholy mood on of this famous city on that rainy day. What do you think?











A street performer in Florence





  

1 comment:

shamash said...

Love these photos: so beautiful.