Sunday, July 24, 2011

Remembering Amy (My all-time favorite Amy Winehouse song)


Although Amy Winehouse was widely-known for her global hit “Rehab”, this is my all-time favorite song from her history-making second (and sadly the last) album “Back to Black”.  Achingly beautiful lyrics, combined with her soulful warbling, this song does not need a repeat listening to make an impact on you.  It is simple yet magical and desperately sad. (Even more so now that she’s gone). 2:49 minutes of pure soul heaven.  There are many videos of her singing this song live but I prefer this original studio version; Amy Winehouse at her best and that is how we will remember her. Rest in peace, Amy. You have given the world two great albums with such timeless music.  We’ll miss you.

                                        

For you I was a flame 
Love is a losing game 
Five story fire as you came 
Love is a losing game 

Why do I wish I never played 
Oh what a mess we made 
And now the final frame 
Love is a losing game 

Played out by the band 
Love is a losing hand 
More than I could stand 
Love is a losing hand 

Self professed... profound 
Till the chips were down 
...know you're a gambling man 
Love is a losing hand 

Though I'm better blind 
Love is a fate resigned 
Memories mar my mind 
Love is a fate resigned 

Over futile odds 
And laughed at by the gods 
And now the final frame 
Love is a losing game


No comments: