Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sunset (Photography)



sun·set/ˈsənˌset/Noun

1. The time in the evening when the sun disappears or daylight fades.
2. The colors and light visible in the sky on an occasion of the sun's disappearance in the evening, considered as a view or spectacle

Sunset can be considered one of the most photographed subjects on earth.  It is also one of the most celebrated occasions of the day.  Some say they have fallen in love while watching sunsets. Some people make vows and get married with an iconic sunset backdrop.  Some like to sit alone and reminisce about the times when they had someone special in their lives while some of us, lucky ones, have a chance to share it with either friends or lovers. Many of us make excuses to drink up and party and of course many others take advantage of it to sell venues and drinks (Sunset cocktails, anyone?). 

Personally, I have seen sunsets from many different parts of the world, not only from the legendary sunset-watching places such as Bali, Venice, Santorini or Ipanema but also from beautiful yet underrated and unusual places.  Once I admired a gorgeous sunset together with the love of my life right beside me. What indescribable feeling that was! There was also a time I felt so empty listening to the sound of my heart breaking while gazing at a sundown alone. Like many of us, I have also celebrated the joy of friendship over Champagne as well as the moment of silence and solitude with pride during numerous sunset milieus of my life.


What makes sunsets so special? Doesn’t the sun go down every day? Why do people still get excited to see this same old thing from different places? Will it ever get boring? What is it really that makes people talk about their sunset experiences so fondly?

Ipanema, Brazil

For me, it could be the unique atmospheric condition that comprises deep orange and striking red hues. These shades of color never fail to bring out the creative side of me while, at the same time, making me feel vulnerable, inspired and nostalgic
Here’s to many sunsets I have experienced and to many, many more coming my way. 
With love, gratitude and appreciation,
Cheers!!!!


Sunset in Bali, Indonesia

Sunset in Venice, Italy

Santorini Sunset, Greece

Sunset captured from the air craft

No comments: